Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Must be spring, the Festival season is starting.


Ok! First off, I've been asked to take part in Go West again in the Franklinton district in Columbus Ohio. This year I'll be doing a full installation, which basically means I'll get a room to do whatever I want, so that'll be interesting. That's on June the 11th (Saturday), and will be free to the public... more on that in the future.

Come July 5th I'll be Starwood bound (actually I'll be at the camp site probably July 1st or 2nd, but that's when the festival starts so whatever). For you folks just tuning in', I'm going to be vending full-out for the first time. This is going to be rather interesting!

I've posted before about going to these weird pagan/hippy camps, I don't know if I've explained them or why I go. So... er... well... Imagine going somewhere where you will be accepted just as you are. You can wear whatever you want, & meet some interesting, amazing and/or weird people, and just have a good time (as long as you're not a judgmental asshole, the golden rule is in full effect!). These are primarily geared towards people who are pagan, but not always, it depends on the event. If you're not, and you want to go you absolutely can, just be ok and accepting to what you will find. Stuff that happens at these events are... well there's lots of hanging out, there are workshops on any number of topics, from spirituality to recycling/conservation, to various crafts, to sex and sexuality, to... well you name it. Oh yeah, these places aren't open orgies, but they are more sex-positive and GLBTQ's are most welcome (there's a sizable rainbow camp at any event I've been to). Most are clothing optional, most people wear clothes, and no it's not as weird as you think (and btw I wear clothes as I don't like bugs and I don't like to get sunburned). For the folks local to me, it's kinda like Comfest, only more relaxed and with less douchebaggery. There's generally lots of music and performances, especially at the larger events like Starwood. Also, there are drum circles, and they go on for hours and hours. I go because I am a gigantic fan of places that accept people as they are, and places were people discover themselves. I've met people and had experiences at these events I would not have anywhere else. The camp-culture is very honest, people are generally in a good mood and very friendly. With regards to Starwood, I've not been to this event before but here's what I've heard. It's one of the longest running events of it's kind (31 years). It's been compared to Burning Man to people who have attended both. There are 'themed areas', art, weirdness, and at the end there's a huge bonfire that goes up several stories (I'm told they're going for three this year). Sounds interesting. Friends that have been say I should go over well there... so we shall see how that goes. If you come, find me and say hi!

Like I've said earlier, I'll be vending at this one. I'm bringing prints, shirts, stickers, buttons, and maybe some other stuff (we shall see!). This is kind of a test-run, I'm very familiar with Wisteria (where it's being held at this year) and many of the people I know down there will be at the festival, so I'll feel pretty comfortable. I want to break even at least, and get a feeling for setting up, layout of my space and all that. I'm going to do a dry run before going down of my booth set up, but at festival I'll have feedback, and I can see how it all works for me. My plan is to go up the weekend before, set up camp, and relax and have a good time. No stress, no pressure. Once this is over with I'll know what else I'll need to do before going on the road with vending (or if I should try something else).

By the way, that photo up above is one i took at a festival last year (Cornstalk at Wisteria). That bonfire was built up about 6 feet, the fire shot up to at least 20 (they added too much torch fuel).

That's what I know for now.
Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment