Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What's Next?

So I'm making a book.

This has been in the planning/brain cookin' stage for a while now. Basically, here's the plan; This will contain 30 images, & once complete I'll publish to LuLu, which will distribute to Amazon, and through that, the whole world. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Yah! It'll be sweet!

Now to make it...

I've been moving in a different direction artistically. This next series will be as much about the method of creation as the work itself will be for me. All will start as a drawing, that I will digitally manipulate. The purpose of this will be for control, and because I may produce these as prints after the fact... and the imagery will work better in this kind of format. The source of these images will be from visions from meditation and alligorical stories from my memory, and/or both. That's the rub, I've never done a body of work based off of my personal mythology. I think it will make for some interesting viewing. Also I find that if it's something that I'm hesitant to do, then I should probably go do it.


To give you an idea of what you may expect, this print is a precursor to what's coming next. The symbols in the print (titled Kingsnake, 18" x 24") are alchmey based. The snake, the egg, and the young woman (virgin) represent fertility, new beginings, and the snake crowned in the Oborous (tail biting) position speak of rebirth... and maybe some other things that I just don't want to tell you because if I did... well that would be too easy. I prefer the folks who view my work to come up with their own definitions.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to obscure symbols, that's the other advantage of the book format, I can write a blurb or prose to illumiate the subject for the viewer. In the next few weeks/months from time to time I'll preview parts of what I'm working on, & you're welcome to give feedback of course.

This is going to be my main focus, and I don't plan on having any other shows at this time so I can just work on this. But stuff comes up, and of course I'll tell you about it if it does.

Until next time, here's Billy Bragg & Wilco

4 comments:

  1. And the snake making an infinity symbol.

    C'est si bon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course the symbols overlap other cultural influences in my life ... I couldn't help but remember Sam Jaffe on this TV show ... but then I'm actually old enough to have seen the show when it was on. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you're back, and with a plan! It's been a while, but I still have "Birch" and it still looks great!

    I'll be around watching for updates!

    Eric (CAL from Asylum Forums)

    ReplyDelete