Sunday, March 7, 2010

Environmentals

Well looks like the weather FINALLY BROKE here in Ohio. Weather is heating up (if you can call 40's-50's °F heat... well it's not freezing so whatever!), and the Spring Equinox is coming up in a couple weeks (March 20th this year. Because it's a solar holiday it's subject to change). I'm going to some kind of bacchanalian (2) festivus that day, and maybe I'll tell you about it... and may be I won't (if I don't it's because it was just SO CRAZY I didn't want disclose details in public). Anyway, good day to get stuff ready for planting, and starting new things, and eating chocolate bunnies. I'm starting to practice spinning poi again. I'm ok... not great. I don't perform or anything, but it's something I like to do. Here is a video of me from last year at a Wisteria if you're curious. Ah... keeps me off the streets.

So here are some interesting footnotes.

My friend Eddie showed me this link about this low impact home built in Wales. Built by the people who now live there, with only a chainsaw, hammer, 1 inch chisel, and minimal experience on another project. Most of the timber was found local. The walls are straw bales covered in lime stucco, this is a technique that was developed out in the American West in the 1800 where wood is not easy to come by. Total cost is £3000 (around $4,500 US), and nearly if not completely self sustaining. Check out the guy's website, he also has links to other orgs that build similar structures. Nice that someone is demonstrating that living with a low carbon footprint doesn't have to cost a lot.

Also, if you're into scuba diving, check out this underwater river in Mexico. Great photos!




Anyway, here's something different for you. Song is Maggot Brain by Funkadelic

No comments:

Post a Comment