Friday, March 5, 2010

Print in process...

To the left is a detail of a print I am working on. What you're looking at is a vector image. So far I've completed several drawings that will be combined to create the final print, and scanned them in to the computer. Then I use photoshop to clean up and define the line to my satisfaction. I transfer the image over to illustrator and convert it to vector where I'll make changes. Doing this gives me greater control over the quality of line and allowing me to adjust the image to it's final size. In the sample on the left I am smoothing out the inside of the shape, the outside I am leaving rough. When this process is completed for all the images I've drawn I'll bring them back into photoshop, where I will add color, and in this case I'll be including 'scrapbook' images of scanned textures, (leaves). When the final image is complete, I'll send the file off to be printed using the Giclée process. When the prints come back they are ready to be signed, and I may frame one or two, and then they will be ready for show or for sale. Right now I'm only doing small run limited editions. Once the file is printed that image is not reproduced again except for promotional stuff.

So yeah, that's what I'm working on right now.





While I find that video amusing, it's giving me an internal dialog about ecstatic dance, and how so many cultures have incorporated it into their spiritual tradition. These folks probably believe the Christian Holy Spirit has come upon them, but I see not much difference between this and other forms of divine possession. As an experience it's not something we westerners understand or encourage, but regardless of whether you believe that they are having a true spiritual experience or using it just as a reason to freak out... it has a benefit to the psyche. People feel... something, better maybe, feel like they've touched or been touched by the divine. Just something that's rolling around in my head this morning.

I think people are hungry for authentic experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment