Saturday, July 10, 2010

In the still of the night.

These past couple weeks have been quiet, which is what I really needed after a month of running. I really need periods of quiet, so I can think, research and work. Research what? Whatever, doesn't matter what... it's whatever pops into my head. Could be about creation myths, or how to cook with sherry (I've been given two bottles of it, one for drinking and one for cooking... and I don't drink -that- much), or something related to current news or politics, or whatever. I like indulging myself in curiosities, I learn a lot and hence I have this vast weird pile of random info in my head of which you never know how it will come in useful.

So, it's time to get back to work.

For about a year now I've been working with digital imagery for prints. That got started because I was doing a round of interviews that were related to graphic design, and I needed to update that part of my portfolio. What it lead to was gilcee prints, and combining my drawing with textures and layers. It's interesting, this kind of work for me can be completed fast and gives some level of satisfaction. I'll continue with it, but it's more than time for me to get back into painting again.

I'm not as conceptual as many contemporary artists. I am an image and object maker. I want to make icons that can live in your home as well as in a gallery/temple/whatever. Something made by hand has more resonance and punch than any reproduction (and you have to see it in person, no digital photo of any art can match seeing it with your own eyes). The digital prints are good to work out ideas and get them across, and they can be more affordable to collectors. Nothing however to me can take the place of the one of a kind image.

So these next few weeks and months will be set for me to begin a new series. The painting detail is acrylic on canvas, just a thought really. It's a portrait of a gothy-punk girl, I'll post it in full when I update my website which will be soon. I'm going back to wood, and the size will be closer to 16 x 18 or 18 x 24. What the subject is you'll have to wait and see.

Ah well, here is Eumir Deodato, September 13

No comments:

Post a Comment