Thursday, April 22, 2010

getting out more


1St off. Happy Earth Day. The image above is something I made last year after seeing a tree who had all it's limbs cut off regrow just like this... and no I didn't intend for it to look phallic but if you want to take it that way I'm completely fine with it (and mildly amused).
Last Tuesday some friends and I caught the Gypsy Nomads show at the Shrunken Head (formerly Victoria's Midnight Cafe). Regarding the band, they consist of two folks from New York, a lad and lass called Frenchie and the Punk. They say of themselves that they are a "Gypsy Celtic Cabaret w/ tribal and punk elements and an undercurrent of the mystickal", & they're currently touring about the country (with a pretty rigorous schedule I might add). They have a kinda tribal French/Spanish vibe, with a sly sense of humor & a rambling bohemian varnish. They put on a great show, along with the other tye-dyed 80's-ish hippie band that opened for them (sorry didn't catch the name, I believe they're local to Columbus). I'd say the Gypsy Nomads are one of those groups that are best seen in person. We all had a great time, and I'd see them again for sure.


and a footnote about the Shrunken Head. I was a fan of Victoria's, it's the 1st place I showed my work after I got out of college & I spent more than a few evenings/mornings there. I know the owner had to move on, and everything changes but still I was kinda bummed to see Vic's go. Under it's new persona as the Shrunken head... well I gotta say the food was good (I had the Reuben), and they kept much of the decor (so far) while adding some tiki-god elements. It's still a bit of a hole, but I like holes and this one still has character. Columbus needs more holes I think, so yeah we shall see how that place develops.

MAN, I don't know if it's the spring or what, but I really want to go out and dance or otherwise cause mischief. Later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment