Friday, January 8, 2010

just a dream.

I had this dream a while back. I wish I could build it, this thing I saw.

Imagine, you're walking in the woods in early spring, when the ground is starting to flower but before the leaves start to cover the canopy above you. This place is dotted with small clearings, the grass hasn't returned yet so the fields are covered with stale yellow. You come to one of these spaces, and you find yourself at the back of a building. It's clearly been there for a long time and it shows signs of wear and disuse. Vines that haven't begun to leaf climb it. There is no windows and no door. The top curves in a dome.

You make your way to the front of the building, the sides as you walk past them are narrower than the back, and you soon find yourself in a wide field, and that the building is actually a theater. The front is decorated in decaying carved wood and peeled paint. It looks Edwardian in style, and on each side of the stage there are steps that lead up to it. In the center of the stage there is a statue. It's about 7-8 feet high, made of wood that was once painted white but it's now flaking away, and this too is laced with vines, but you can make out the details clearly. It's of a woman seated, the style is almost Greek but there is a wildness to it. By wild I don't mean untamed, but wild in the sense that animals are wild, they have an assured sense of place, they have everything they will ever want or need, all they must do is live. The statue is gazing out over the landscape, she is a woman of indeterminate age but mature. Heavy breasts, large hips, she is covered in a robe but you see her feet are bare. She has four arms, and holds a sheaf of wheat, a bowl, a fan, and a flame. There is a feeling I sometimes have when I enter some places, like there is something special here, and I should explore and investigate, and -be- there. So, go up on the stage, and explore.

.. it went something like that.

Maybe I'll paint it, but I'll never come close.

So, new years has come and gone. Time to make some changes I think. What I'd like to do this decade is travel more. I'd -really- like to live in another country, even if only a few months. I do have some responsibilities here (home, cat), but it's time for me to recall the sense of adventure I had when I was young. I do need to find better work though, and I'm working on that too.

so, it's time for some Tom Waits, song is 'Come On Up to the House'

No comments:

Post a Comment